The West Front Appeal
Newstead's medieval church west front is an architectural gem under attack by the effects of time, weather and pollution. It was placed on the Buildings at Risk register in 1998. Specialist conservation work has begun, but more is needed urgently to save it from certain destruction.
In all the work will take ten years to complete, at a cost of just over £1,350,000. We are seeking donations and sponsorship from organisations and individuals to help us rescue this national treasure.
What needs to be done?
Immediately we need to:
- Prevent water penetrating the west front and damaging its core and carvings
- Conserve and repair sections of the eroded masonry
- Trial repair techniques for later stages
Within five years we must:
- Examine the facade for any minute traces of medieval painting
- Repair and conserve the delicate carvings and statues.
- Conserve and repair eroded masonry.
Within 10 years we have to:
- Repair and conserve entrance steps to the west front
How you can help ?
Every effort is being made to secure grant aid from English Heritage Lottery Fund and elsewhere. However, grants are in great demand and will not cover the total costs of conservation. You can help save the west front in the following ways:
- Mage a cash donation to the Appeal using one of the donation boxes inside the house and 'Cafe at the Abbey'
- Make a donation by cheque made payable to 'Nottingham City Council' and send to Newstead West Front Appeal, Newstead Abbey, Ravenshead, Nottinghamshire, NG15 8NA
- A unique gift for someone special. Celebrate a birth, friendship, engagement, wedding or special anniversary by adopting a piece of history. Alternatively, dedicate a stone in memory of a loved one. Schools, businesses and other organisations can also participate in the Adopt a Stone scheme.
- Your company can become a sponsor of our on-going campaign. To find out the benefits of sponsorship please call 01623 455 900.