Share this page
On this site
We want to build and support strong, active and inclusive communities in Nottingham, to encourage people to take an active part in making decisions, delivering and influencing services across the city.
The aim is to build empowered communities so we can:
- Improve services to local people
- Increase opportunities for volunteering
- Give confidence and skills to individuals
- Help to build more cohesive communities
How do we empower communities?
The partners at One Nottingham (including Nottingham City Council) agree to follow 'Empowerment standards'. We will:
- Work in partnership and co-ordinate our efforts
- Be inclusive and open up access to services
- Be clear what we are asking and why
- Act with respect and honesty
- Communicate what we are doing.
We have set a list of objectives and a detailed action plan, which outlines how we will set about achieving the objectives. The Action Plan includes the development of a detailed performance management framework for empowerment. The strategy also lists some of the key Local Area Agreement targets and other measures we will use to give an indication of the success of the strategy.
What are our priorities?
Our priorities to empower communities are:
- Developing expertise to ensure that everyone can be involved in community empowerment, including people and groups that are often missed out.
- Improving awareness of volunteering opportunities within the city, supporting volunteers to find appropriate roles, and building skills within organisations to help them support and develop their volunteers.
- Rolling out enhanced, more accessible and inclusive Ward and Neighbourhood Management structures.
- Developing protocols, toolkits and a performance management framework to improve the co-ordination and management of community empowerment activities. The toolkit and supporting documents can be downloaded by clicking on their names below.