Share this page
On this site
Swimming for the over 50s
Swimming is a great form of exercise and it's particularly good for older people.We have lots of great swimming options for older people in the city of Nottingham.
Please click on the links below for further details.
- So what's stopping you?
- Benefits of swimming
- Opportunities to swim
- Aquatic fitness classes
- Find your local pool
- Swim with Flexible Fitness
There are a huge number of reasons why people don't take the plunge and learn to swim. Often it's due to a bad experience in childhood or a natural fear of the water. Other common causes include:
- never learning to swim
- feeling body conscious
- not wanting to swim in mixed gender sessions
- not having swim wear or the right kit (e.g. goggles)
- not having the opportunity to swim
Please don't think you're alone in feeling like this, a huge number of people (no matter what their age) experience these feelings. We would love to help you overcome your fears and learn to swim, help you to get back into swimming or even just show you the variety of swim sessions or aqua classes available to you in Nottingham.
Swimming is a really great way to exercise, as well as being lots of fun:
- It's low impact because the water supports your weight
- It offers all over toning as it works your whole body
- It's great for your heart and lungs
- It burns lots of calories
- It's refreshing and relaxing
- It's a great way to meet new people
General swimming sessions which may interest you include:
- Adult swim - a general swim for customers over 16 years old
- Lane swim - ideal for those wanting to swim lengths of the pool continuously
- Adult lane swim - lane swimming for the over 16s
- 50+ or 60+ swim - a social general public swimming session for those aged 50+
- Ladies only - a general swimming session for ladies aged 16 and above
- General swim - a general swimming session open to all
You may also want to to try a water based exercise class. Our Aqua Fit classes are particularly suitable for those aged 50+, all activities including non swimmers are welcome. Aqua Fit is basically an aerobics class in the water and reduces impact on the joints whilst the water's resistance challenges the muscles.
Aqua Zumba is a water based workout that's cardio-conditioning, body toning and most of all lots of fun. It's Latin inspired and also known as the pool party.
Contact your local pool for class times.
Did you know if you're under 60 the most cost effective way to regularly swim in our pools is with one of our Flexible Fitness memberships? Flexible Fitness gives you access to all Nottingham City Council leisure centres, plus there are no contracts to sign so you can be as flexible as you like with your membership - to find out more visit our Flexible Fitness web pages.