Share this page
On this site
Supporting Disabled children and their families
Children's Centres have a fantastic support network of fully trained staff who work in partnership with parents of disabled children.
Supporting Disabled Children and their Families
Our fun and exciting sensory rooms and activities encourage confidence and creative play. We have a variety of group sessions and one to one sessions designed to meet your families individual needs.
Portage Workers offer a home visiting service and liaise with other professionals who are involved with children who have special educational needs. They offer support,advice and a specialist service, including:
- Working in partnership with parents/carers to aid children's play and learning
- Suggesting ways to encourage development, including some aspects of behaviour
- Bringing toys and equipment to the home (including sensory equipment where appropriate) to model activities
- Supporting parents through their choice of school
- Supporting children in playgroup or nursery
- Supporting children as they move from home to nursery
Where Is This Support Available?
Support is available city wide, with Sure Start Children's Centres in: Aspley, Basford, Bestwood (Southglade), Bilborough, Bulwell, Bulwell Forest, Clifton, Dunkirk & Lenton, Hyson Green & New Basford, Meadows, North West, Radford, Sherwood & Edwards Lane, Sneinton, St Ann's South, Top Valley & Bestwood Park, Walter Halls, Wollaton.
For more information or to get in touch with your local Children's Centre, call: 0800 458 4114.