Leaving Your Private Rented Tenancy

Advice on leaving your private rented property

Notice From Your Landlord

If you have an assured shorthold tenancy your landlord would need to serve you one of the following

Section 21 Notice

If your landlord would like you to leave they must serve a section 21 notice and give you a period of 2 months to enable you to secure alternative accommodation. The notice must state that if you fail to leave on the date that the notice expires that the landlord can apply to the courts for possession of the property.

Section 8 Notice

If you are in 8 weeks arrears with your rent your landlord could serve you a section 8 notice. If you receive a section 8 notice we would strongly advise that you pay your rent or contact Housing Benefit to see if you're entitled to support. If you are still unable to pay your rent there are advice agencies you can seek further support from such as Framework Crisis Team, Notts Housing Advice or Citizens Advice Bureau. These may be able assist you with looking at your finances and/or offer support at court.

Notice to Your Landlord 

 If you decide to leave your tenancy you must provide the landlord with at least 1 months' notice in writing. If you have ongoing issues with your landlord or the property we would strongly advise that you seek support before making a decision about continuing your tenancy or not. Please make sure that you have another property or an arrangement to live somewhere else before leaving.


 Moving can be expensive. Removal costs and another deposit could easily stretch into the thousands. If you paid a deposit when moving into your current tenancy you should receive that back, providing the landlord doesn't wish to make a claim against it. But do bear in mind that you are unlikely to receive this back in time to secure a new property.


Make sure that you clear the property of all your belongings and that the property is left clean and tidy. Take pictures of the property when you leave to support the condition that the property was left in. If possible arrange for the landlord or letting agent to meet you at the property to hand over the keys so that they can inspect the property immediately after you have left.


When your tenancy has ended you will need to apply to the relevant deposit protection scheme to reclaim your deposit. If the landlord is satisfied that you have left the property in good condition you will have your full deposit returned. If the landlord is not satisfied he must submit a claim to the deposit protection scheme that is protecting the deposit. This why we advise you keep all receipts for rent payments, an inventory and any written approval for decoration; so if you dispute the claim you have evidence to back it up.


Make sure that you return all the keys that you were originally issued with and any copies you have made. If you fail to do this you will likely be charged for a lock change out of your deposit.


Make sure that you contact all the utility providers and advise them that you have vacated the property and give them the final meter readings, keep a copy of these in case they are needed at a later date.


Contact the postal service and arrange for your mail to be re-directed to your new address.

Reporting Concerns

If you are concerned about the conduct of a landlord please visit our Report a Rogue Landlord Form to learn how to report concerns.

If you are concerned about the service you've received from a lettings agent, you can find further information at Threps. 

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...