During Your Tenancy

Some key points to remember when you are moving into a new privately rented home.

Tenancy Agreement

Make sure that you abide by the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement. If you don't your landlord will more than likely take action to evict you. Please be aware that you are also likely to be accountable for the actions of any of your visitors.

Term of the Tenancy

If your tenancy is for a fixed term of 6 or 12 months this does not mean your tenancy ends immediately after this period. It will continue as a rolling contract, a periodic tenancy.

If a landlord wants you to leave he must give you notice. This can vary depending on whether you are an Assured Shorthold (AST) tenant or a licensee so please check your original agreement.


Make sure that you keep the property in good condition and try to be as clean and tidy as possible particularly if you know your landlord is due to visit.


Any repair issues should be raised with the landlord or agent, In writing preferably and as soon as possible. Make a note of when you reported it and keep a log.  

Allow access - Your landlord should provide 24 hours written notice if access is needed to your property to complete any repairs

Time - Give your landlord a reasonable amount of time to complete the repairs. Your landlord may only have one property and will not have a dedicated team to complete repairs

Rent - Do not withhold your rent if you are unhappy that your landlord has failed to complete repairs. Approach agencies that can support you in these instances but continue to pay your rent as usual

Rental Payments 

Make sure that you keep receipts for rent that you have paid to your landlord. If you have a dispute over rent you need to be able to demonstrate that you have paid.  

  • If you think you will not be able to afford your rent, as a result of you losing your employment or changes to your benefits, seek help and let your landlord know in advance
  • Keep Housing Benefit informed of any changes in your circumstances for example if you start working you may qualify for a 4 week overlap
  • If bond has been provided by the Local Authority or another agency make sure that you are saving for your deposit

Reporting Concerns

If you are concerned about the conduct of a landlord please visit our Report a Rogue Landlord Form to learn how to report concerns.

If you are concerned about the service you've received from a lettings agent, you can find further information at Theprs

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...