Private Rented Assistance Scheme
The scheme assists Nottingham City residents who are homeless and in need of good quality private rented accommodation.
This can be in the form of financial support or a guarantee bond which is valid for a minimum of six months. This is renewable and negotiable for each tenancy.
The scheme also offers ongoing support to landlords and tenants to sustain tenancies, through the prevention from eviction protocol.
All landlords must hold a license and provide NPRAS with proof of this along with a current Gas Safe Certificate and an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) with a rating of 38 or more.
- Interview potential tenants in which a five year address will be established, any criminal convictions or support needs identified and eligibility confirmed
- An extensive income and expenditure assessment will be completed to establish affordability
- Ensure that prospective tenants provide a character reference, bank statement, post office e statement, proof of income, photo ID and proof of any financial agreements
- Market the landlord’s property for free via the Private Rented Assistance Scheme
- Arrange for prospective tenants to view the property and meet the landlord where possible
If landlord and applicant agree to go ahead with a tenancy
- Complete a written and visual inventory
- Draw up a tenancy agreement
- Complete a sign up with tenant, explaining terms and conditions of agreement
- Where applicable, apply for Housing Benefit on tenant’s behalf and arrange for direct payment of Housing Benefit. NPRAS supplies all paperwork and proofs to Housing Benefit and then liaises between the landlord and tenant
In cases where an applicant is in receipt of Universal Credit, we can make arrangements for rental element to be paid to landlord at the beginning of the tenancy.
All the above services are provided free of charge to the landlord.
Once tenant and landlord have signed tenancy agreement, NPRAS can issue a guarantee bond and pay rent in advance.
Where a guarantee bond has been issued, this is reviewed after six months and can be renewed if all parties are in agreement.
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...