Are you eligible for a free NHS Health Check?
Your NHS is offering everyone aged 40-74 without an existing diagnosis* a free NHS Health Check which can asses you for the risk of developing heart disease, kidney disease, stroke and diabetes.
These long-term conditions, which can seriously affect the quality of your life are also amongst the biggest killers in the city, and form part of the reason why we tend to die younger in Nottingham than most other areas in the country.
Prevention Not Cure
You can't always tell from looking at someone, but we could all be at risk. A free NHS Health Check takes around 20 minutes and can help spot health risks before they develop - giving you the chance to make changes to the way you live to avoid developing one of these conditions.
Your GP can also refer you to one of the many services in Nottingham City which support you in achieving your health goals via Healthy Change. Amongst others, there are services to help you:
- Lose weight
- Become more active
- Quit smoking
- Cut down on drinking
What Happens At The Check?
This check is to assess your risk of developing heart disease, type-2 diabetes, kidney disease or stroke.
- The check will take about 20 to 30 minutes
- You'll be asked some simple questions e.g. about your family history and any medication you are currently taking
- Your GP will record your height, weight, age, sex and ethnicity
- You will have your blood pressure taken
- You'll have a simple blood test to check your cholesterol and blood sugar levels
- Contact your GP to arrange your NHS Health Check
- If you've been sent an invitation - take it up
- Find out more about NHS Health Checks here
- Health professionals requiring more information or materials click here
* To be eligible you need to be between 40 to 74, not currently prescribed a statin, and not have a diagnosis of high blood pressure or cardiovascular disease.
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...