Information on losing weight and being healthy
If you, or someone you know wants to lose weight and get healthy, there are a number of schemes and services to help you.
Get help locally
Healthy Change is an innovative support service to help adults in Nottingham become healthier. If you smoke, are overweight, physically inactive or have a poor diet, Healthy Change could help you.
Healthy change can offer ongoing over-the-phone support, and they can also arrange for people to attend one or more of the services below for free.
Your GP will be able to refer you to Healthy Change or visit www.nottinghamcitycare.nhs.uk/healthy-change
Some of the services Healthy Change may be able to offer you are:
- YMCA physical activity on referral service - Free 12 week exercise and motivational programme to get people more active
- Slimming World on Referral - Free 12 week attendance at a local Slimming World group
- Eat well for life- Free cook and eat courses to help you improve your family's eating habits, by learning to cook everyday meals lower in fat, sugar or salt
- Ridewise (Cycling for Health) free cycle training sessions and organised group rides
- Be Fit - Free gym use, fitness classes and swimming* at John Carroll, Victoria, and Southglade Leisure Centres between 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 3pm Monday to Saturday
Information at your local library
All libraries across Nottingham provide a collection of self-help material including:
- Books, CDs and DVDs
- Self-help booklets
- Free internet access
- Reading groups
- Family activities
- Support group contacts
The home library service is free for anyone with a health problem or with reduced mobility who cannot get to a library and has no one else to visit regularly for them.
If you have difficulty reading then may be able to join the free talking book service which has a wide selection of full length talking books available to borrow.
The mobile library provides a free service out in the community allowing you to borrow books without having to visit the library.
- Check out what sport and leisure facilities are available for children and young people
- Or why not take a look at what is happening at your local leisure centre, or visit one of our many parks and green spaces
Get help nationally
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...