Supporting children and young people with Autism and Asperger Syndrome to achieve social inclusion, meet their educational potential and go on to make a positive contribution to the wider community
- Who is our service for?
- What do we do?
- Transition support
- Support for families
- How do we work?
- Further Information
Children and young people with Autism and Asperger Syndrome at all Key Stages, their families and other professionals
working to support them.
- Support schools to include children and young people with Autism and Asperger syndrome
- Advise on strategies and resources
- Work alongside staff in schools to help meet the needs of these children and young people
- Support families where Autism and Asperger syndrome is having a significant impact on the lives of other family members
The Autism Team has a team of Transition Support Workers who are able to offer programmes of support in times of significant change and transition at all Key Stages. Support is offered to those young people who meet the criteria and may experience the greatest difficulty with transfer and change.
The Autism Team works in partnership with locality-based parent support and provides training and advice to families, including offering sibling support groups.
We offer training tailored to the needs of your school or organisation covering the following areas:
- Understanding of Autism and Asperger's
- Tools for inclusion
- Promoting emotional wellbeing for pupils on Autistic Spectrum
- Promoting effective communication and social interaction skills
- Understanding sensory sensitivities and practical solutions
- We have a named teacher in every City school and we allocate our time according to criteria based on individual need
- We allocate teaching assistants to support schools to work with pupils at times of transition and change. This is done on a priority basis and is reviewed regularly.
- We work with schools and other professionals as part of a multi-agency team around the child for prioritised pupils
- We provide training and advice to schools which can be purchased for pupils who do not meet the criteria for support.
For Further details please download the documents below:
The Autism Team
Glenbrook Management Centre
Tel. 0115 8765311
Tel. 0115 8765311