Under revised Statutory and Operational Guidance in Summer 2018, children in foster care may also be entitled to 30 hours free childcare from September 2018, giving foster families the same support as other families.
The key messages are:
- The foster parents must engage in paid work outside their roles as foster parents;
- Applications are made through the foster child’s Social Worker, as accessing extended hours must be consistent with the child’s care plan;
- Foster care applications are managed by the Local Authority, not HMRC;
- Successful foster care eligibility codes will start ‘400’ but childcare providers should validate these codes following the usual process on the Portal; and
- Apart from the code, the standard 30 hour rules around accessing a place, reconfirming every 3 months and the grace period remain the same.